[vtkusers] color level ... what does it do? Newbie question alert :)

Anja Ende anja.ende at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 21 09:17:28 EDT 2006

Hi all,

Was looking at SetColorWindow and SetColorLevel functions in the various vtk
image viewers. I just have a confusion about what SetColorLevel does.

I think SetColorWindow basically maps the input pixel values to some output
pixel value range. S, if we have an input of say...0, 60,000 and we set the
color window to 0, 200, for example...than the input pixel values are
linearly mapped to this range and the outliers are mapped to 0 and 200
depending on which side they lie... Am I correct?

Now, I have no idea what SetColorLevel does? I know that it seems to be
related soemhow to the brightness of the image and I guess it is scaling the
lower intensity pixels... However, can someone explain what exactly it is
doing to the pixel values...

For example, if I map the input values of 0-60000 to 0-200 and set the color
level to 100, what exacxtly will it do to the pixel values...

Sorry for asking such a newbie question...

Thanks,

Anja