[vtkusers] Rendering multiple actors with opacity (alpha)

Michael Rice marice at knology.net
Mon Aug 14 22:08:51 EDT 2006

This sounds like a problem we had. If you look in the
vtkOpenGLActor::Render() method, you see that the glDepthMask is set
to false if the opacity != 0 and the renderer is not picking. Our
simple hack was to comment out the if/else check that disables the
depth check. It doesn't produce the exact transparency we want, but
it is very close.

As an experiment, you may want to try and modify vtkOpenGLActor.cxx
and see if that gets you closer to what you want.

When I have some spare time, I'd like to craft a "real" solution and
submit it to Kitware for consideration.

HTH.
Michael