[vtkusers] vtkImagePlaneWidget and scaling

Anja Ende anja.ende at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 14 11:11:38 EDT 2006

Hi Dean,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.I really appreciate it.

I was wondering though that since the vtkImagePlaneWidget uses the
vtkImageReslicer,
it should be possible to specify the scaling with a vtkTransform,
which I do in my derived class.
However, I never get the correct size of the image back. It is always
clipped in the X and Y
directions.I tried changing the output extent and all that, but no
luck. I translate the origin
to the center of image using vtkImageChangeInformation and then the
clipping happens.

The reason why I did not want to use vtkImageResample in the upstream
is because it would call
the interpolation routine twice... one for the resample and one for
the reslicer...
am I correct in assuming that?

Thanks,

Anna

Hi Anna,

vtkIPW takes as input 3D vtkImageData and allows the user
to interactively cut through the image with a plane.  It's
sole function is to allow visualization and NOT modification
of the underlying data.  When "scaling" with the widget,
the size of the cutting plane is changed but the data it
cuts through is not.  In some intances, like when the widget is
cutting obliquely through the data, the size of the plane needs
to be scaled.  If you want to change the size of the image
you could use vtkImageResample on the upstream of your pipeline
before vtkIPW.

Dean