[vtkusers] FW: colour mapping stress ellipsoids

Ugur BOZKAYA u.bozkaya at fmcon.com
Wed Aug 2 16:46:44 EDT 2006

Hi,

I suggest you not to use vtkTensorGlyph. Here is what is confusing, you
need 400 values for each tensor but vtkTensorGlyph accepts only one for
each tensor.(I might be wrong since I did not use it for sometime) May
be it can be manipulated but this will be more complicated.

You will need to create each tensor by your own. Normally in vtk, you
can just take a vtkSphereSource and define its axes and resolution to
create a polydata that results a tensor elipsoid. One way is you can
modify this class and add a dataarray to this class that will hold a
value for each point in the elipsoid. Anyway if you want to create your
own class vtkSphereSource should guide you.

About holding the data values; the geometry and data values of this
object is two independent things. Simply if you have a gray level image,
the geometry is a rectangular grid MxN (say 100x200). So you have MxN
points with 3D coordinates such as pnt0(0,0,0), pnt1(1,0,0),
pnt2(2,0,0)...pntM-1(M-1,0,0) in the first row.(assuming unit spacing
with 0,0,0 origin). Of course how this points are connected is important
this is done by inserting cells to data. But this is not an image yet,
we have to define data values(grey values). So you create a dataarray
such as vtkDoubleArray. Since this is a grey level image only one
component is necessary for each point. The vtkDoubleArray should be MxN
in size. If this was an RGB image the dataarray would have 3 components.
The point and the data values are matched according to their order. So
pnt0 will have the value of first value in vtkDoubleArray and so on...
You do this by setscalars() function.

In your case you will create a tensor in a specific coordinate. You have
to calculate the location of 400 pnts for this tensor. For each of these
pnts just calculate the color value and add it to your dataarray. Then
you have to define cells to construct the surface.(briefly create
triangles from 3 closest pnts on the surface and add it as a cell)

This whole process will be done for each tensor of course.

For the calculation of color values, you can use vnl which is included
in itk to allow matlab like operations. Otherwise just write or find a
function that will handle tensor product. dot product and norm can be
found in vtkMath class.

good luck