[vtkusers] Backing Store glitch workaround?

Adam Hooper adamh at densi.com
Sat Apr 15 15:24:09 EDT 2006

I have just filed bug #3134: "vtkRenderer backing store breaks when
window unexposed". I'll copy the description and attachment here:

---
Steps to reproduce:
1. Open the attached VTK program (or any other VTK program: just modify
it by calling BackingStoreOn() on a renderer).
2. Set any other window to be "always on top".
3. Move the other window so that it half-covers the VTK window.
4. Manipulate the camera in the VTK window, while the other window
covers half of it.
5. Move the other window away.

Expected results: the image in the VTK window is identical to what it
would have been if the other window hadn't been there.

Actual results: the part of the VTK window which was underneath the
other window has the "old" image -- that is, exactly the contents which
it had before it was covered by the other window.

This is an extreme annoyance in, say, a program with a large render area
which uses dialogs: the dialogs create these glitches very often.
---

Has anybody else noticed this bug? Does anybody have a workaround? I've
spent ages searching for one, to no avail. In my application we use
QVTKWidget; QVTKWidget's image cache is different from vtkRenderer's
backing store, but it exhibits the same problem.

--
Adam Hooper <adamh at densi.com>