[vtkusers] Compiling Errors with Visual Stdudio 2005

Thomas Lambertz thomas at hexerei-software.de
Mon Apr 10 16:33:46 EDT 2006

lurbano at usb.ve wrote

> [...]
> Another problem is to know what is the good reference for the file
> vtkConfigure.h. The CMAKE 2.3.4 (the new version one)do not arrive to perform
> the enviroment required before to compiling with Visual Studio 8 (in Windows
> XP). For example, the file CMakeBackwardCompatibilityC (in Module Folder of
> CMAKE2.3.4) is not considered the Visual Studio 8 case. (CMAKE_GENERATOR
> MATCHES "Visual Studio 8").  When on try to compile VTK projet, inmediatly you
> obtain the the follow errors:
> vtkAbstractTransform.cxx
> c:\vtk\common\vtkType.h(144) : fatal error C1189: #error :  "No native data
> type
> can represent an 8-bit integer."
> vtkAbstractArray.cxx
> c:\vtk\common\vtkType.h(144) : fatal error C1189: #error :  "No native data
> type
> can represent an 8-bit integer."
> Generating Code.........
>
> ------ Build started: Project: vtkFiltering, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
> Compiling...
> vtkFilteringInstantiator.cxx
> c:\vtk\common\vtkType.h(144) : fatal error C1189: #error :  "No native data
> type
> can represent an 8-bit integer."
>
> .....and them.
>
> It must be to define also the following file: CMakeVS8BackwardCompatibility and
> CMakeVS8FindMake. The last two weeks, I have working the for this problem and I
> do not arrive to compile VTK without errors. I think that i have some problem in
> the configuration made by CMAKE.
> Could some one send me the file vtkConfigure.h, please ?
> Thank a lot in advance
> L. Urbano
> [...]
Hello,
I can not confirm this problem. With default settings i get some
warnings - no errors. Afaik the vtkConfigure.h is created in the
buildprocess by one of the created executables - so you dont have to
select one manually. So check wether your build created vtkConfigure.h -
here it is located in the root of the vtkbin. I am not so familiar with
the CMakeList-files that i can help you out with this.

I used CMake 2.2.3 - latest stable release on www.cmake.org. Is v2.3.4
from the cvs-tree ?
Other Environment looks really the same: VS 2005 Prof. on WinXP/XP64 Prof.

I will send you the requested vtkConfigure.h.

Greets,
Tom