[vtkusers] DICOM difficulties

Willy Thumber willythumber at verizon.net
Sun Apr 9 01:57:40 EDT 2006

Hi all,
I've got a running program using the vtkPNGReader which produces a
nicely rendered image from a stack of .png files.  However, when I
use the same program except for using the vtkDICOMImageReader to read
in a stack of .dcm files, I get a flat image, as if the DICOM reader
has no sense of the z-dimension.  Here's a snippet of my code, with
the working PNG part commented out.

	vtkDICOMImageReader *DR = vtkDICOMImageReader::New();
     DR->SetDirectoryName(argv[1]);

     //vtkPNGReader *PR = vtkPNGReader::New();
     //PR->SetFilePrefix (argv[1]);

     vtkMarchingContourFilter *boneExtractor =
vtkMarchingContourFilter::New();
     boneExtractor->SetInput(DR->GetOutput());
     boneExtractor->SetValue(0, 200);

It works fine if I comment out the DICOM part and use the PNG reader
for .png files.  Why can't the DICOM parser see that there is a z-
dimension? I know that the .dcm files are good since I can examine
them using OsiriX. Thanks in advance for any help.
WIlly