[vtkusers] Encapsulating VTK files in DICOM

David Clunie dclunie at dclunie.com
Mon Oct 17 12:36:42 EDT 2005

Hi all

What interest would there be in encapsulating VTK files
within a DICOM wrapper so that they could be stored in
a PACS and interchanged on media and over the network
together with DICOM images, and then the VTK contents
extracted for rendering in the normal manner ?

I ask, because the DICOM 3D working group has never been
able to reach consensus on the need for or form of an
encoding of surface models, yet the VTK file "format"
(or perhaps some constrained subset thereof, in order
to ensure interoperability), could be "encapsulated"
(as DICOM does with, for example, PDF files).

There is some interest from other areas in doing this,
so I thought I would ask what VTK users thought before
proceeding with this.

David