[vtkusers] compiling the vtkFLTK examples

Marius S Giurgi rendezvous at dreamxplosion.com
Sun Feb 6 23:54:46 EST 2005

Hi, Sean

Sorry to bother you again, but I feel a bit frustrated that I cannot
start using your vtkfltk in my vkt projects. As I mentioned last time
vktfltk errors when installing the included examples, so in the end I
decided to install the vtkfltk package without the examples. I was
thinking that later on I could just go to the example directory and run
cmake and make to compile the individual examples; apparently I was
wrong; it seems that I need a much better understanding of how cmake
works (obviously I'm new to CMake). Indeed the code for simple and
simple2 is very easy, but it's cmake files I'm having trouble with. I
was wondering if you could give me an example of a simple CMakeList.txt
that would work fine with a general project that uses your vtkFLTK. Say
the project consists of just one .cxx file and it's located in some
directory and I want the executable to be build in the same directory.

(Charl's Cone3 example seems to have a pretty simple CMakeList.txt file
that also compiles fine)

Btw, when I try to compile your Simple example (cmake .) I get the
following errors.
Any idea what am I doing wrong here?

Sakura:/Developer/vtkFLTK-0.6.1/Examples/Simple dolphin$ cmake .
-- Check for working C compiler: gcc
-- Check for working C compiler: gcc -- works
-- Check for working CXX compiler: c++
-- Check for working CXX compiler: c++ -- works
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to:
/Developer/vtkFLTK-0.6.1/Examples/Simple
Sakura:/Developer/vtkFLTK-0.6.1/Examples/Simple dolphin$ make
Building dependencies. cmake.depends...
Building object file Simple.o...
/Developer/vtkFLTK-0.6.1/Examples/Simple/Simple.cxx: In function `int
main(int,
    char**)':
/Developer/vtkFLTK-0.6.1/Examples/Simple/Simple.cxx:56: warning:
`AddProp' is
    deprecated (declared at /usr/local/include/vtk/vtkViewport.h:53)
Building executable /Developer/vtkFLTK-0.6.1/Examples/Simple/Simple...
ld: Simple.o illegal reference to symbol:
vtkViewport::AddProp(vtkProp*) defined in indirectly referenced dynamic
library /Developer/VTK/build/bin/libvtkFiltering.dylib
ld: Simple.o illegal reference to symbol: vtkConeSource::New() defined
in indirectly referenced dynamic library
/Developer/VTK/build/bin/libvtkGraphics.dylib
ld: Simple.o illegal reference to symbol:
vtkDebugLeaksManager::~vtkDebugLeaksManager [in-charge]() defined in
indirectly referenced dynamic library
/Developer/VTK/build/bin/libvtkCommon.dylib
make[1]: *** [/Developer/vtkFLTK-0.6.1/Examples/Simple/Simple] Error 1
make: *** [default_target] Error 2

"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had
years and years of training can, using only their hands and
feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world."
    -- Dave Barry