[vtkusers] Help for representation of a coordinate system axes

Franke, Stephan Stephan.Franke at inpro.de
Mon Aug 29 06:09:12 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I am not so familar with vtk so I need some help. In the first phase of
my project I used the TrackballCamera as interactorstyle.
For my coordinate system representation with vtkAxesActor in touch with
the vtkOrentationMarkerWidget
all this had worked fine. Later I had to implement a transformation
dialog where the user can set some transformation like rotation and
translation.
Since that I had problems with the rotation part of a camera to do the
91 degree rotation about X axes and so on. I changed the interactorstyle
and implemented a TrackballActor style which work only on vtkAssembly
objects. The problem that I have with this style is that now the
coordinate system
representation do not function because the vtkOrientationMarkerWidget
needs the camera movements to calculate the rotation for the axis.
The camera now has a fix position so there are no rotations which can be
calculated for the axes.
Can someone help me in how do I have to implement a new coordinate
system representation which works for my interactorstyle or how
to implement the dialog that it can work with the TrackballCamera
interactorstyle. Problem here is that I can do only
90 to -90 grad rotation over the x axes (elevation) but I need the full
360 degrees. And I have problem to get the right transformation matrix
out
of the camera because in the function of the camera to do the rotation
there are parts to correct the camera position. So a rotation
over the X axes for example can have the effect that in the
transformation matrix are translating components which I do not
expected.

So I have the problem that with the TrackballCamera style my coordinate
system representation works but the transformation dialog not and with
the
interactiorstyle which I wrote the representation of the coordinate
system do not function. How can I get all this stuff together.

Thanks for help

Best regards,
Stephan