[vtkusers] Installation error by make in vtkImageReader

Shuaib Karim skarim at ifs.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Apr 25 14:09:37 EDT 2005

Hi,
Excuse-me for asking maybe very simple installation problem of VTK.
After running cmake -i on my Linux machine (Fedora core), when  I run
make, I get many errors of following type:
/IO/vtkImageReader.cxx:370: error: ISO C++ says that these are
ambiguous, even though the worst conversion for the first is better than
the worst conversion for the second:
-----------------------------
Before I corrected the same type of error for vtkBMReader.cxx (by
editing the file), and then I get a series of errors like
------------------------
/home/skarim/VisToolKit/VTK/IO/vtkImageReader.cxx:438:   instantiated
from here
/home/skarim/VisToolKit/VTK/IO/vtkImageReader.cxx:370: error: ISO C++
says that these are ambiguous, even though the worst conversion for the
first is better than the worst conversion for the second:
/usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/3.4.3/../../../../include/c++/3.4.3/bits/postypes.h:176:
note: candidate 1: std::fpos<_StateT>
std::fpos<_StateT>::operator+(std::streamoff) const [with _StateT =
mbstate_t]
/home/skarim/VisToolKit/VTK/IO/vtkImageReader.cxx:370: note: candidate
2: operator+(std::streamoff, long int) <built-in>
/home/skarim/VisToolKit/VTK/IO/vtkImageReader.cxx:404:   instantiated
from `void vtkImageReaderUpdate1(vtkImageReader*, vtkImageData*, T*)
[with T = vtkImageReader::ExecuteData::VTK_TT]'
/home/skarim/VisToolKit/VTK/IO/vtkImageReader.cxx:438:   instantiated
from here
/home/skarim/VisToolKit/VTK/IO/vtkImageReader.cxx:382: error: ISO C++
says that these are ambiguous, even though the worst conversion for the
first is better than the worst conversion for the second:

Could anyone give me some hint if there is any solution other than
editing the individual files.

With a lot of thanks,

Shuaib