[vtkusers] write data in binary

Fabian Braennstroem f.braennstroem at gmx.de
Mon Apr 25 10:44:15 EDT 2005

Hi,

I am pretty new to vtk (using paraview as interface) and
have some trouble to write my data; esp. in binary format.

I want to write out rectilinear structured grid data. In ascii-format
should be pretty simple with a structure like this, here as a
unstructured one:

 # vtk DataFile Version 2.0
 Quellluft_Martin_Kriegel
 ASCII
 DATASET UNSTRUCTURED_GRID
 POINTS 8925 float
 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 25 0 2 25
 0 0 0 25 2 0 25 0 25 25

but with binary format I have some basic problems. As I understood it,
just the data are in binary format, but the description of the structure
is in ascii:

 # vtk DataFile Version 2.0
 Quellluft_Martin_Kriegel
 BINARY
 DATASET UNSTRUCTURED_GRID
 POINTS 8925 float
 -- some binary stuff --

But how should I do this in fortran77!? I know ther is 'formatted' and
'unformatted', but I have problems applying two different formats to one
file.

Do you have any idea?

Greetings!
Fabian