[vtkusers] undefined reference to `XF86VidModeQueryVersion' on

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Sun Apr 24 10:43:48 EDT 2005

> Just as you said, now it works perfectly (but much slower than in XFree86).
>
> I added the commentary on the bug report at:
> http://vtk.org/Bug/bug.php?op=show&bugid=1777&pos=0

Thanks but as I mention this is not a perfect solution, in the longer term we need something more elaborate, like a cmake script that will check the Xext provide those two functions otherwise we need to add this lib as a dependencie.

Anyway for your problem of VTK being slow, this is not related at all to X.org, I suspect you did not install the proprietary driver. Ubuntu just like any other linux distrib cannot redistribute those binary drivers, and thus you need to install them yourself. For this have a look at VTK Wiki:

http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_OpenGL

In particular:

http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_OpenGL#nVidia_Driver_on_Ubuntu

Which will lead you to : http://ubuntulinux.org/wiki/BinaryDriverHowto