[vtkusers] Re: VTK Textbook vs OpenGL Manual

Paulo Tribolet Abreu paulotex at ist.utl.pt
Wed Apr 20 16:37:03 EDT 2005

Hi all:

Recently I asked about books to learn about 3D computer graphics and
scientific visualization. My main question was if it is worth to have
both the OpenGL Programmer's Manual and the VTK Textbook. I'd like to
share with you my conclusions:

1. To learn about 3D computer graphics, I'll buy
Fundamentals of Computer Graphics, from Peter Shirley, ISBN 1568811241
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1568811241/>

2. I'll not buy the OpenGL book. Instead, I'll use the online version
when I'm programming.

3. My computer graphics course also recommends
Real-Time Rendering, ISBN 1568811829
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1568811829/>
for more advanced optimization issues. This I'll also buy.

4. Finally, I'll buy both VTK books (the Textbook and the User's
Guide), since my main objective is to learn to program in scientific
visualization.

Thanks for all the help.

Paulo

Paulo Abreu