[vtkusers] vtkVolumeRayCastMapper with float or double scalar

Jim jiksed at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 19 16:48:05 EDT 2005

Hi vktusers,

I am trying to volume-render a double-precision scalar with vtkVolumeRayCastMapper.
My raw data (scalar data) are double-precision numbers and they can be negative. I created
my vtkImageData from unstructured scalar data using vtkShepardMethod. My questions are

1) Do I have to scale my raw scalar data to the range of [0, 255] before creating my
    vtkImageData?
2) What does vtkImageCast->SetOutputScalarTypeToUnsignedShort() do if my ImageData
    is not scaled to the range of [0, 255]? Will it set any number less than 0 to 0, any
    number greater than 255 to 255?

Thank you.

Jim