[vtkusers] (Post on 7 Mar by Dr Zeto) Surface reconstruction from a

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Sun Apr 17 23:13:59 EDT 2005

> Dear All,
> Last week, Dr Zeto asked a question about generating a surface from

Last week = 7 March ?

> point cloud. The example of TCL (vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter) from
> vtk.org does not work.

Could you please detail your argumentation to demonstrate that this example -being tested every night- 'does not work'

> Since "vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter::GetOutput
> does not return vtkPolyData*, while vtkContourFilter::SetInput requires
> vtkPolyData* as an input".

vtkContourFilter does not require a PolyData as input.

> Later on, Mathieu suggested using
> vtkImageData to pass data to vtkContourFilter.

Well vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter::GetOutput() returns a vtkImageData, and vtkImageData is a vtkDataObject thus a correct input for vtkContourFilter.

> What if I only have the coodinations of a set of points and the
> coordinations all have 3 decimation (eg. 102.223). And I would like to
> use vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter and vtkContourFilter to generate the
> surface from that point cloud. What can I do? Has Dr Zeto solved your
> question? If yes, could you give me some hints?

HTH
Mathieu