[vtkusers] vtk-developer list?

tom fogal tfogal at apollo.sr.unh.edu
Thu Apr 7 14:10:03 EDT 2005

 <b02264720504070755b2599c2 at mail.gmail.com>Randall Hand writes:
<snip>

>(warning, comments are based on some very limited experience with it)
>With subversion you no longer have independant file versions, but a single
>"repository version". So while you can move files and rename them, you no
>longer have individual file histories or versions. Also, things like
>"tagging" and "branching" don't really exist in subversion, but are
>basically replaced by copying all the files in the repository into a
>(possibly read-only, in the case of a TAG) sub-directory. You get the same
>functionality, in a slightly different manner.

This isn't incorrect, but the way I read it I got the connotation that
subversion repositories will end up with all sorts of copies all over
the place. Internally branches (and I believe tags) are just links to
the appropriate versions of files. Subversion is pretty smart about not
actually copying things until it /really/ needs to.

Anyway personally I've been using subversion for probably about six
months now, and things have been fairly smooth. The only problems we've
run into were traced back to issues with Berkeley DB. I was unaware of
the homebrewed filesystem until recently, but I wish we had gone with
that.

Being able to move and delete things is particularly refreshing. I'd
recommend the move, if you've been putting it off...

Just my $0.02.

-tom

>A neat writeup can be found at http://www.pushok.com/soft_svn_vscvs_1.php
>
>On Apr 7, 2005 9:32 AM, Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com>
>
>wrote:
>>
>> Just a side note. There is a way to do it properly. But you need to have
>> access to the cvs server. If so you can copy the comma v file from one
>> place to another (after creating properly the directoy) and then cvs
>> remove the old one. This is also not recommended because CVS does not
>> mark this as an event...
>>
>> Hopefully svn will support this.

<snip>