[vtkusers] Registered Surface/Volume cutting

Nono BEZMan nonobezman at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 6 19:13:20 EDT 2005

Hi,

I have both a 3D volume dataset (slices as series of
images) and a surface dataset (triangle mesh) of the
same object. Boths dataset are registered so that when
placed on top of each other, they fit right.

What I am trying to do is the following:

Using the plane widget, I would like to cut the 3d
surface and then map on the cut surface the
corresponding data fetched from the 3d volume. That
is, instead of having a "hole" when you cut a 3d
surface, I woul like to have a texture/section of
slice based on the underlying 3d volume... sort of a
textured cap instead of a hole.

The entire 3d volume would never show, and the the
user would play with the 3d surface. Only the
interpolated cut from the 3d volume would be
surimposed on the cut 3d surface. It would give the
same effect as we had ground the object with a plane
and we could see the inside material of it.

I have tried using a probefilter to do this (based on
the cowSlice example) but it does not yield the right
result as too much resolution is lost. Also, I do not
see how to "cut" the vtkImageReslice so that only the
section inside my cut surface would show and NOT the
entire slice.

Thanx a lot in advance for any help,

Arnaud.