[vtkusers] Scaling and colouring glyphs with different scalararrays

John Biddiscombe biddisco at cscs.ch
Mon Apr 4 02:38:53 EDT 2005

>and then call data.GetUnstructuredGridOutput(), I basically get back exactly
>the grid that I put in.  It seems silly that I have several arrays in the
>PointData section of the UnstructuredGrid object, each with names, but which
>I can't specify one to use for sphere/glyph size, and one for colour.  I

Part of the problem here is that there was some discussion on the
developers list a while back about how the best way to set the scalars
for a filter should be achieved. Many filters could be told to operate
on either this scalar or that, and the question was - add this as a
function at some lower level in the class heirarchy (ie back at the old
vtkSource, or similar) level, or add it on a per filter basis depending
on just what the filter is doing.

vtkGlyph3D is slightly unusual in that several SetXXbyName functions do
exist, but the particular one you want isn't there. In this case, I'd
suggest adding it to the bug tracker as a feature request for vtkGlyph3D
and I'll add in the ability to set scalar names for scaling and color
independently. It's certainly something that is a fairly common request.

JB

--
John Biddiscombe,                            email:biddisco @ cscs.ch
http://www.cscs.ch/about/BJohn.php