[vtkusers] Re: extension "GLX" missing on display (vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x805fe00): Could not find a decent visual)

Iain Dooley mail at iaindooley.com
Sun Apr 3 07:16:08 EDT 2005

Hi Clinton:

> Try the "vesa" driver instead of the "vga" driver.
> You can do opengl with the vesa driver and it works with lots of cards.

actually, as it turns out i was editing the wrong XF86Config file :-( when i check my X startup messages i saw that it was using:

/etc/X11/XF86Config

and i was editing:

/etc/XF86Config

i was using the correct (s3virge) driver and uncommenting Load "glx" worked fine! i don't even know what that other file was doing there... i guess it was detritus from when i first configured X (i'm pretty new to the UNIX world ;-)

anyway, thanks for the response. as embarrassing as it is to to admit to such a dumb error, i've posted this to the list in the hope that someone else who winds up in the same situation may find it useful!!

cheers

iain