[vtkusers] Ongong woes building vtk on Mac OSX

Sander Niemeijer niemeijer at science-and-technology.nl
Wed Sep 29 13:44:46 EDT 2004

Hi,

Some time ago I have been struggling with self-made Python builds
myself on Mac OS X.
As far as I remember that specific error was indeed caused by using a
static version of the library instead of a shared variant. The problem
with the Python 2.3.3 version I use(d) is that the package does not
support a way to create a libpython2.3.dylib, so you have to do it
yourself. I borrowed my solution from the Python package in Fink. They
provide a manual dynamic link line after they build the Python package.
Something like:

cc -dynamiclib -all_load -framework System -framework CoreServices \
    -framework Foundation ...../lib/python2.3/config/libpython2.3.a \
    -o ...../lib/libpython2.3.dylib -install_name
....../lib/libpython2.3.dylib \
    -current_version 2.3 -compatibility_version 2.3

If you have Fink installed, just look at the contents of the file:

/sw/fink/10.3/stable/main/finkinfo/languages/python23.info

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Sander