[vtkusers] on & off screen render window + parallel compositing + interaction

Michael Bonner bonner10 at llnl.gov
Fri Sep 17 15:47:15 EDT 2004

Hello vtk users,

I have a relatively simple mpi application in which every process has an
offscreen render window, renWin (vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow w/
SetOffScreenRendering(1) called), but the root process has an additional
render window that is on screen, rootWin (also vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow).

I have added a vtkCommand object as an observer for my
vtkRenderWindowInteractor on the root process, its execute method calls a
parallel composite function and I then... well right now I do nothing...
because after this method is called, which includes a renWin->Render call,
the interaction stops. To be more specific the window does not get updated
at all anymore.

I have turned on debugging for both render windows, and periodically called
Print, nothing appears to have changed in either.

I have turned on debugging in the vtkRenderWindowInteractor and it appears
that, even though the window is not changing, that the interactor and style
are behaving correctly. Additionally, I am sending the root process's
camera information to all other process and it the info has changed
according to the mouse movements, also snapshots of composites created
reflect the interaction.

I have removed everything from the vtkCommand->Execute that I have
implemented, and the one function that stops the rootWin window from
changing is the call to renWin->Render.

I do not know why.

If anyone has any idea as to why, I would greatly appreciate any feedback.
I am beginning to work on a toy program that will hopefully exhibit the
same behavior.

Thanks for your time
Mike Bonner