[vtkusers] Problem: vtk hangs on termination under cygwin/win98

D Duke djd at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Wed Sep 15 13:48:15 EDT 2004

I'm having a problem with vtk.exe (created by the Tcl wrapping) hanging on
termination when running under cygwin on Windows98.  I don't seem to get
the problem when running under WindowsXP or linux.  I'm using the latest
release of cygwin, with gcc 3.3.3 and cmake 2.0 patch.  I'm using the
development release of VTK from the CVS server.  Other applications
compiled under cygwin  seem to be running okay.

The problem seems to be in finalization; applications run okay until I try
to exit, and then they hang.  If I even just start vtk.exe and then
terminate immediately (ie. enter "exit" at the prompt), the application
hangs.  I'm trying to trace the problem but am not too familiar with this
side of VTK; all I have found so far is that the destructor for the
vtkCleanUpObjectFactory instance completes before the application
suspends.  This is not helped by having to reboot after each attempt
:-(.  Has anyone else hit this or have any ideas?

Although switching to XP would avoid the symptoms, the machine its on
is useful, and if there is actually a problem ...

thanks,
David

David Duke                                 Email: djd at comp.leeds.ac.uk
School of Computing, University of Leeds   Tel: +44 113 343 6800
Leeds, LS2 9JT, United Kingdom             Web: www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/djd