[vtkusers] vtk 4.4.2, python, vtkTkRenderWidget, crashes X11

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu_r at users.sf.net
Fri Nov 12 01:27:01 EST 2004

    Burlen> hello, can you please look at this if you're familiar with
    Burlen> vtk??  I just upgraded from 4.2.3 to 4.4.2. When I made
    Burlen> the change, I found that my application I developed using
    Burlen> python 2.3.4, Tkinter, and vtk 4.2 crashes X11, I traced
    Burlen> the crash as far as the vtkTkRenderWidget. under vtk 4.2
    Burlen> the application never crashed. I am at a loss to figure
    Burlen> out what is going on here!
[...]

I assume you rebuilt VTK.  I've been using 4.4.x for a while and
things seem to work fine for me.  The most common case of failure with
the Tk widgets is when you build VTK with a different version of
libtcl/libtk than the one used by _tkinter.so.  So, I'd recommend that
you first run ldd on _tkinter.so (it should be in
/usr/lib/pythonX.Y/lib-dynload/) and check to see if you built VTK
4.4.2 with the same exact version of the libraries.  If you did not do
this, reconfigure CMake to use the correct version and build it again.
This usually fixes most problems of this kind with the Tk widgets.

HTH.
cheers,
prabhu