[vtkusers] Where can I learn more about doing off screen rendering?

tom fogal tfogal at apollo.sr.unh.edu
Tue Nov 9 16:05:05 EST 2004

 <EDE2805710280D4F8500328B8E16D0D602658D3C at ustcax50.kcc.com>"Pieper, Chris" writes:

>I am trying to process many datasets and I'd like to take advantage of
>offscreen rendering -- if I understand things correctly, this can only
>be done in v4.4 using "mangled mesa" -- my system administrator tells me
>he can't install Mesa without messing up other things (openGL?) -- There
>is apparently a workaround documented in
>VTK/Examples/MangledMesa/README.txt -- does this adequately describe
>what to do?  I am not a system administrator and I'd like to give him
>guidance...

If you're on a UNIX machine, which it sounds like you are, you should
look in to vtkXOpenGLOffScreenRenderWindow, by John Shalf && Glen
Lehmann.

Glen says his code only works with VTK4.3 but don't listen to him =).
At least, its worked for me with both 4.2 and 4.4. Of course, YMMV...

See http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_Classes

HTH,

-tom