[vtkusers] Re: Mesh

Amy Henderson amy.henderson at kitware.com
Wed Mar 10 08:47:14 EST 2004

At 06:47 PM 3/9/2004, David Bernstein wrote:

>I don't believe VTK itself contains import routines for meshes in other
>formats.  You have to write your own little
>translation routine which creates an instance of vtkUnstructuredGrid for
>each type of application you want to import
>from.  Is that what you meant?
>
>Regards,
>Dave

As Mathieu already pointed out
(http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2004-March/022892.html), VTK
does support some 3D file formats. They are listed here:
http://vtk.org/cgi-bin/vtkfaq?req=show&file=faq03.002.htp. On that list,
you can see that it is possible to load Unigraphics facet files. Files from
the IDEAS software aren't listed, but someone may have already written a
file converter from that format to one that VTK does support. (If not, you
could write one yourself if you know how the IDEAS files are formatted.)

- Amy