[vtkusers] Re: Compute principle curvaturs

Goodwin Lawlor goodwin.lawlor at ucd.ie
Mon Jun 28 15:06:28 EDT 2004

Hi Moti,

What formula did you use for the principal curvatures (k1 and k2)?

With
K (Gaussian) = k1.k2
H (Mean) = (k1 + k2)/2

the quadratic solves as

k1,2 = H +/- sqrt(H^2 -K)

testing if  H^2 - K > 0, leads to (k1 - k2)^2 > 0 which is true... so you
should get a solution for k above, if H and K are correct. Perhaps some
unusual geometry is causing problems calculating H and K initially. You
should test H^2 - K > 0 for each point before you get the principal
curvatures. If the test fails mark the point as undefined and move on to the
next point.

I would be easy enough to add this into vtkCurvatures
(SetCurvatureTypeToMaximumPrincipal etc.)

hth,

Goodwin

news:000101c45d02$22c4d820$2a284184 at cas02...