[vtkusers] Display Differences in Hardware and Software Volume Rendering (pictures)

Alex Lear alear at cns.montana.edu
Fri Jun 18 11:58:08 EDT 2004

I have recently added a VP1000 to my development workstation.  I am
surprised to see the difference in the look of volumes using the
hardware compared to the software.  I have my program set up to switch
the mapper from vtkVolumeRayCastMapper
(vtkVolumeRayCastCompositeFunction) to vtkVolumeProMapper.  I am
surprised to see the differences in color given the same
vtkVolumeProperty color function.

I'd like to know if this is the correct behavior for the hardware volume
renderering? and if there is a way for them to function more like the
software mapper.  Perhaps the scalar values used in the volume need to
be a different range when using the two mappers.  Ideally, I'd like
computers equipped with VolumePro hardware to behave the same as the
computers that are using a software mapper.

The following pictures are screenshots of the rendering while only
switching the mapper.

Software Rendering:
http://www.attackforums.com/Screenshots/SoftwareVolumeRendering.jpg

Hardware Rendering: