[vtkusers] vtkXMLPolyDataReader

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Jun 17 10:08:14 EDT 2004

Immo Trinks wrote:

> Thank you, I downloaded and installed the latest version.
>
> I have got a .vtp XML file that uses encoding="raw" for the binary part of the data.
> The latest ParaView in not able to load it and when I use (VTK 4.4)
>
> vtkXMLPolyDataReader reader
> reader SetFileName "test.vtp"
> reader Update
>
> I get the following message:
>
> ERROR: In /home/trinks/Programs/VTK/IO/vtkXMLUnstructuredDataReader.cxx, line 462
> vtkXMLPolyDataReader (0xa7cd710): Cannot read points array from Points in piece 0.  The data array in the element may be too short.
>
> It is possible that the person who wrote the .vtp file used a non-standard vtkXMLWriter.
> Any idea how I could get VTK to read this file?

The internal encoding of the raw data has changed, so I do not think any
current reader will handle it.  You can probably get it by loading the
data with ParaView 0.6 and then saving it in another format (such as
.vtk).  Then use ParaView 1.4 to load the .vtk file and save it as a
.vtp file again.

-Brad