[vtkusers] Mac offscreen drawing

Paul Schmiedge schmpaul at uregina.ca
Tue Jun 15 10:59:24 EDT 2004

On Jun 14, 2004, at 12:32 PM, Chris Scharver wrote:

> What exactly is it that you're trying to do? Would it be possible to
> use an existing rendering window at all? Maybe just the built-in VTK
> functions to save render windows to a file and then quit? Since MacOS
> X requires windows are created in order to achieve hardware
> acceleration, the only difference may be that the windows actually
> appear on the screen. This could at least let you save a series of
> images in batch mode for the time being.

A series of images generated in batch mode is exactly what I'm aiming
for.  I know how to save the images I'm rendering to a file, and that
works just fine.  I'd like to render without a window appearing
on-screen because the batch rendering process is being initiated by
another program, which then loads the produced images to display to the
user for further interaction.  Since the user will be sitting at the
computer during this process, a bunch of pop-up windows behind the main
application is hardly desirable.

Is it possible to use the Carbon HideWindow() function in conjunction
with the WindowPtr from vtkCarbonRenderWindow?  I've tried it, but the
window still appears briefly.

Thanks,

~ Paul S.