[vtkusers] Problem with lighting: Dark 3D objects, SetLightType() has no effect?

Lars Overgaard lov at mikrofyn.com
Mon Jun 7 04:48:23 EDT 2004

Hi guys,

I use VTK to visualize 3D geometries (vtkPolyData) as both wireframes
and surfaces.
My problem is that the vtkLight, which is automatically added on first
Render(), is fixed
relative to the scene, and thus, the visualized objects look very dark
seen from many
viewing angles.

I would like to fix the light to the camera. I have tried calling
SetLightType() with various
arguments, but it has no effect at all, in my case.

I have looked through the docs and the vtkusers archive. My problem has
been reported
by others, but I found no good solutions. There are no examples using
SetLightType().

Can anyone provide a working example or just a hint on what I might be
doing wrong?

Thanx a lot!

Lars Overgaard

Software Engineer