[vtkusers] Re: MarchingCubes

Sean McInerney seanm at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Wed Jul 28 17:34:29 EDT 2004

Jonathan,

   That's a cool idea!

   Foreach desired slice plane for the ImageData volume that you will
ultimately produce, do something like this:

1.) Use vtkClipPolyData to get the 2D contour of the given slice.

2.) Use vtkPolyDataToImageStencil to produce ImageStencilData

3.) Use vtkImageStencil to produce the ImageData
     (need to do a little filtering to produce the desired binary image).

4.) Use vtkAppendFilter to fuse the 2D binary images into a 3D volume.
     Hopefully, the ImageStencilData retains a 3D extent.

5.) Voila! Binary volume from PolyData ... maybe.

-Sean