[vtkusers] vtkColorTransferFunction and opacity

Lisa Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Wed Jan 28 10:48:56 EST 2004

Hi Steve,

I think this Alpha value is not used because it is part of the superclass
vtkScalarsToColors and vtkColorTransferFunction was not originally a
subclass of this class. It can be used - but I suspect you will need to
test that the alpha value is being set everywhere it needs to be set. This
also only allows you to have a single opacity for the whole image - and I
think what people want is an opacity per scalar value. What we real need is
to associate a vtkPiecewiseFunction with a vtkColorTransferFunction for
this - of course these are separately specified in the vtkVolumeProperty
for volume rendering so this could be confusing...

Lisa