[vtkusers] parallel rendering

Berk Geveci berklist at nycap.rr.com
Mon Jan 26 10:42:58 EST 2004

When you start a parallel task with mpich using mpirun, only some of
your environment is propagated to all the processes. Therefore,
depending on your setup, the DISPLAY variable might end up being wrong
on some of the processes. This is what is happening in your case. One or
more processes are trying to open windows on a display they don't have
access to (or they have no display at all). You have to make sure that
all processes have the right DISPLAY variable set. You can do this by:
1. using a putenv() to set DISPLAY in your code before initializing VTK
2. putting something like
export DISPLAY=:0.0
in your .cshrc, .kshrc, .bashrc or whatever. Of course this has very
annoying side effects if you remotely login to that machine so be
careful.

-Berk

Berk Geveci <berklist at nycap.rr.com>