[vtkusers] make fails with compilation error on Mac OS X

Martin Dunschen zabaione at uk2.net
Sat Jan 10 14:37:10 EST 2004

I try to install VTK from sources, following the instructions in VTK
User's Guide.
The configuration using cmake worked successfully and evoking make
starts the compilation and build of a number of libraries until I hit
the following problem:

Building object file vtkCarbonRenderWindowInteractor.o...
/Users/martin/Development/CHook
Folder/VTK.org/VTK/Rendering/vtkCarbonRenderWindowInteractor.cxx: In
    function `OSStatus myWinEvtHndlr(OpaqueEventHandlerCallRef*,
    OpaqueEventRef*, void*)':
/Users/martin/Development/CHook
Folder/VTK.org/VTK/Rendering/vtkCarbonRenderWindowInteractor.cxx:188:
error: non-lvalue
    in unary `&'
/Users/martin/Development/CHook
Folder/VTK.org/VTK/Rendering/vtkCarbonRenderWindowInteractor.cxx:196:
error: non-lvalue
    in unary `&'
/Users/martin/Development/CHook
Folder/VTK.org/VTK/Rendering/vtkCarbonRenderWindowInteractor.cxx:204:
error: non-lvalue
    in unary `&'
make[3]: *** [vtkCarbonRenderWindowInteractor.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [default_target] Error 2
make[1]: *** [default_target_Rendering] Error 2
make: *** [default_target] Error 2

I believe I use gcc v3.3, this is the ouptut of gcc -v:

Reading specs from /usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/3.3/specs
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1493)

Do I have to edit the source code? Or is something wrong with my
configurations?
I tried the latest stable version:
-rw-r--r--   1 martin  staff   6150847 Dec 22 10:20
VTK-4.2-LatestRelease.tar.gz
  as well as the latest version obtained using cvs. In both versions I
get the same failure.

Thanks for any help

Martin