[vtkusers] Beginner's Question - How to build my own vtk classes

Yi-Yu Chou chouyiyu at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 10 05:57:20 EST 2004

Hi vtk users,
I am trying to follow the README file under VTK/Examples/Build/vtkMy to do
some simple practices about creating my own vtk classes. The steps are :
1. Copy the vtkMy directory to a different out-of-source place. ( ex.
/home/YY/vtkMy)
2. Remove all CVS subdirs
3. Build vtkImageFoo ( I didn't change anything, I just want to build
"vtkImageFoo" in Imaging subdirectory)
4. change to vtkMy/Imaging and run ccmake . (CMake Version 1.8)
5. Use my vtkMy local dir as source dir
6. Add the path to my build-dir bin/ directory to your PATH environment
variable
7. Add the path to my vtkMy/Wrapping/Tcl directory to your TCLLIBPATH
environment variable

Being new to this work, I got some questions from step 5 to 7.......
In step 5, does it mean that I need to edit the options ? Which option
should I change ?
The default values are :
CAMKE_BACKWARDS_COMPATIBILITY   1.8
CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX                            /usr/loacl
EXECUTABLE_OUTPUT_PATH
LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH
And how to do step 6 and 7 under Linux ?

Please do me a favor if you can.
Thanks a lot !!!!!!!!!

YY