[vtkusers] vtk movies

Alex Peckham ap0345 at bris.ac.uk
Tue Jan 6 13:28:36 EST 2004

Hi again,

Here is the C++ code. It shows how to convert a sequence of BMPs to an uncompressed AVI, and how to grab a frame from an existing AVI and write it to a BMP. The code is based on a set of freeware functions called avi utils or something similar (the author's homepage has some good info, I forget the URL but it should be quite easy to find on Google), and the BMP writing part is a quick modification to some other code I had lying around (again based on an example I found on the net, but tweaked to generate the BMP header because when you grab a BMP out of an AVI into memory there is no header).

If you want to grab and write 8 bit bitmaps rather than 16, 24, or 32 bit then the code needs a slight tweak so that the infoheader size is computed as:

lpbi + lpbi->biSize + 256 * sizeof(RGBQUAD);

But if you only want to generate AVIs you shouldn't need to worry about that anyway.

Hope this is of use,

Alex Peckham

Bristol University