[vtkusers] point cloud

Justace Clutter prophecy at corpranet.net
Thu Jan 1 06:04:42 EST 2004

Luke,

	Sorry for the strange format of this email but well ya know...  Ok, So
I had a similar problem.  I found a kind of solution by creating a
vtkPolyData dataset and piped it through a vtkGlyph3D instance.  It
seemed towork pretty good.  I set the glyph to a vertex and it worked
very well, even for fairly large datasets.  the largest one that I had
displayed was around 3.4 million points.

Justace

--> Old Email
-----------------------------
        Hi,

        I'd like to display a cloud of points.

        The only way I can think of doing it is to make an
        vtkUnstructuredGrid
        and to view an actor made from it with
        SetRepresentationToPoints().

        but the grid is complete overkill - can't I make an actor out of
        vtkPoints in
        some way?

        Or another way?

        thanks,

        Luke J West : Research Assistant : e-Science
        Rm. 566/12, School of Ocean & Earth Sciences
        Southampton Oceanography Centre, Southampton
        SO14 3ZH  United Kingdom