[vtkusers] OpenGL stencil buffer disabled. Why? How to enable?

Ingmar Wegner i.wegner at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Tue Dec 14 05:48:27 EST 2004

Hi everybody,
I got my augmented reality algorithms to work through overwriting the
SetupPixelFormat method in VTKRenderWindow.
But to be able to be os independent (variable HDC), I would like to
implement a method to be able to enable the OpenGL stencil buffer after
the initialization of the VtkRenderWindow.

Before I do this, I would like to ask why stencil buffer is disabled by
default in VtkRenderWondow.

PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR pfd = {
    0,                              //gc stencil buffer
  };

Performance? It shouldn't cost that much according to the standard video
cards of these days.

Is there a standard way to enable the buffer apart from overwriting the
method?

Thank you for your attention,
Ingmar