[vtkusers] Cutting a cylinder

Amy Henderson amy.henderson at kitware.com
Wed Dec 1 09:49:36 EST 2004

Hi Sean,

Take a look at VTK/Graphics/Testing/Tcl/capSphere.tcl

What you want to do is pass each piece of the cylinder through
vtkFeatureEdges (set to extract only boundary edges).  Clean each of these
outputs (vtkCleanPolyData), and pass the results through vtkStripper to
create a triangle strip filling in the polygon extracted from
vtkFeatureEdges.  The relevant code from capSphere.tcl is shown below.

vtkFeatureEdges boundaryEdges
   boundaryEdges SetInput [clipper GetOutput]  # In your case, the input
would be the output of your cutter.
   boundaryEdges BoundaryEdgesOn
   boundaryEdges FeatureEdgesOff
   boundaryEdges NonManifoldEdgesOff

vtkCleanPolyData boundaryClean
   boundaryClean SetInput [boundaryEdges GetOutput]

vtkStripper boundaryStrips
   boundaryStrips SetInput [boundaryClean GetOutput]

- Amy