[vtkusers] help! wierd pthread error..?

Louis Desjardins lost_bits1110 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 26 14:16:04 EDT 2004

Hi Brad,
I'm sorry for the very late response!  I was wondering if there are any
other tests I can perform before I send you part of my program, since my
program is very large!

So just to remind you, it crashes after just about 20 minutes every single
time due to this pthread error..

I tried commenting out different parts of my code, and I still haven't been
able to extract the cause...

Do you know if you or anyone else has experienced this before, maybe with a
particular class..??
Thanks very much..

Louis

>Louis Desjardins wrote:
>>
>>Btw I made a mistake, i'm on Redhat 8 (not 9),
>>but when I run it on a Redhat 9, I don't get the pthread errors displayed,
>>however it still crashes after about 5 or 10 minutes of continuous running
>>
>>and the version of vtk is 4.1.1....
>>
>>and I ran the test program you sent, and it didnt crash after even
>>8,000,000 threads, so I dont think it will ever crash..
>
>Okay, thanks for running that.  Now I have no idea what the problem could
>be.  Please try to extract a minimal part of your application that causes
>the problem and send it to me.
>
>Thanks,
>-Brad

------------------
Louis Desjardins wrote:

   Hi Thanks for your response,

Some of the filters include (not all for the same dataset though):

vtkImageMapToColors
vtkCutter
vtkFeatureEdges
vtkGeometryFilter
vtkStripper
vtkPolyDataMapper

so do you mean that one of these filters then may be invoking one too many
thread?

------------------
Brad King wrote:

A return code of 11 is the EAGAIN error from pthread_create.  It may mean
that the maximum number of threads per process has been exceeded. VTK has
many threaded filters, but they all clean up after themselves as far as we
know.  What filters is your program using?

------------------
Louis Desjardins wrote:
    Hi VTK Experts,

My program will run perfectly - doing its thing, loop after loop (its in an
infinite loop just rendering something over and over), but then after about
5 or 10 minutes of running, SUDDENLY out of the blue - it stops! And I get
the following error:

ERROR: In /usr/local/src/vtk/vtksrc/Common/vtkMultiThreader.cxx, line 353
vtkMultiThreader (0xe8ebb48): Unable to create a thread.  pthread_create()
returned 11

Does anyone know any general reason why this might occur?