[vtkusers] monitor progress of vol16Reader

Sean McInerney seanm at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Thu Aug 5 18:52:14 EDT 2004

Five times faster!?! A plausible reason is difficult to imagine ...
except, perhaps ...

If you run your vtkImageReader-based app first, all data is read from
disk (slow). If you subsequently run an app reading the same data, it is
likely that the data has been partially or fully cached by the OS and
will be accessed dramatically faster.

Otherwise ... what gives? I would not think that any two implementations
of a volume reader could have a speed difference of this magnitude.
There's not even a decompression scheme to consider. Can the rumors be
true? ;-)

-Sean