[vtkusers] Font rendering performance issues with VTK 4.2.2/win XP/.NET

aborsic at sc-aip.com aborsic at sc-aip.com
Thu May 22 06:04:31 EDT 2003

Dear All,

I'm experiencing a strange problem. I'm posting to check if anybody else has
incurred in anything similar or has any suggestion ragarding the matter.

I'm using VTK on a laptop with windows XP and VS.NET 7.0

In the past I was used to run some python scripts with the original VTK 4.0
distribution from Kitware, and everything was fine.

I have decided thereafter to dowload VTK 4.2.2 and compile it on my machine.
The strange thing is that now the rendering of scenes containing text is
extremely slow. The same thing happens from tcl and Cxx as well. For example
vtkSDI takes about 13 seconds to render (due to the presence of the axes
labels in the scene, as I will explain later). Similary most of the examples
under Annotation are exceedengly slow.

Things do not change when installing the original 4.2.2 VTK distribution from
Kitware.

***

I have decided therefore to investigate the matter furter, and tryied to do
some performance analysis and execute code step by step with a debug version
of VTK.

As anticipated, the profiling on the vtkSDI application tells that the
application is spending about 13 seconds to render a very simple scene, and
that most of this time is spent in rendering a vtkCubeAxesActor2D that
encloses the dataset. Some further digging into the code showed that actually
almost all the time is spent rendering the text labels of the axes.

By just removing from the scene the axes and recompiling, vtkSDI is capable of
opening large vtk datasets and showing them with good performance on my
machine.

SampleMFC shows similar problems due to the presence of the "Hello World" on
the bottom of the viewport. Removing the text again makes the application run
smooth. Similar considerations apply to the annotation examples, they are slow
(but under cxx, python and tcl) due to the presence of text labels.

***

I'm a bit puzzled by the issue, and I'm not really sure on what to do. I will
try to investigate differences in the source code between vtk 4.0 and 4.2 with
regard to the overlay rendering of fonts.

Has anybody experienced anything similar, or is anybody aware of particular
changes regarding font rendering from 4.0 to 4.2 ?

Thanks in andvance for any suggestion,

Best Regards,

Andrea.

www.sc-aip.com
SC-AIP s.a.s.
c/o Incubatore Imprese Innovative del Politecnico di Torino
Via Pier Carlo Boggio 61
10138 - Torino - Italy