[vtkusers] python bindings

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Fri Mar 28 10:41:12 EST 2003

    MH> Hello, My question is not directly connected with vtk but if
    MH> someone could help !!

    MH> I'm about to do python bindings on simulation code which will
    MH> interact with my vtk application.  How are the python bindings
    MH> designed in vtk ?  Do you use a tool like distutils, modulator
    MH> ...? or you do everything from scratch ?

Distutils lets you package modules and distribute them.  It does not
wrap C++ code for you.  However, as of VTK 4.x the vtk modules can be
installed via distutils.

BTW, what is modulator?

VTK is wrapped from scratch for all the language bindings it provides.
It does not use SWIG or boost.  The reason for this is to bring down
dependencies.  Building VTK is hard enough as it is. :)

If you are writing Python code that will glue your app and VTK you can
communicate data between the two in many ways depending on your needs.
You need to fix some of your requirements before the question can be
answered.

    MH> What do you think about tools like boost ?

Boost is awesome!  SWIG is great too and in the recent past has
improved a huge amount.

cheers,
prabhu