[vtkusers] clipping plane with 2D image as surface

Charl P. Botha c.p.botha at its.tudelft.nl
Wed Mar 19 18:51:14 EST 2003

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 02:51:57PM +0100, Hans-Jörg Wittsack wrote:
> I have a 3D image volume within a vtkImageData array.
> To visualize this, I use a vtkVolumeRayCastMapper.
> Further it was easy to implement clipping planes using
> something like "vol_mapper->AddClippingPlane(plane)".
> Now I want to display the resliced 2D image that corresponds
> to the clipping plane within the 3D scene. In other words:
> the clipping plane should show the 2D image cut as surface.

Use a vtkImagePlaneWidget, set its PolyDataSource (which is a plane) to be
co-planar with your clipping plane and its input to your 3D volume.  You
could even organize it so that if you move the IPW that your clipping plane
also changes.

Have a look at ImagePlaneWidget and VolumeRenderWithBoxWidget examples to
give you ideas on interactor widgets, clipping planes and IPWs.

Good luck,
Charl