[vtkusers] How to read Dicom files using VTK?

Mathieu Malaterre Mathieu.Malaterre at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Mon Mar 17 12:54:03 EST 2003

Dario,
	Have a look at microview package (http://microview.sf.net):

Supported image formats:

   Sun VFF images (single 2D, stack of 2D and 3D images; 8 bit byte, 16
bit ints and 32 bit floats (Intel only))
   MNI minc images (Everything but the kitchen sink. Rumour has it
that'll be supported in the next version...)
   GE workstation images (2D, stack of 2D)
   Life Imaging Systems L3d (3D images; No reconstruction code)
   DICOM format images (2D, stack of 2D images reading; 3D image for
writing)
   PNM (portable pixmap formats: pbm, pgm and pnm; 2D and stack of 2D)
   TIFF (tagged image file format) 2D and stack of 2D images (minimal
support, really)
   VTK (2D and 3D images)
   spr/sdt - Internal brick-of-bytes format used in the MR wing
   RRI SPR format - a simple raw file + header format
   RRI NFO format - a simple raw file + header format (.nfo/.raw)
(Disregards scan angle)
   PIL formats - An experimental wrapper that combines all the file
formats supported by the python imaging
   library (http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil).  This includes
jpeg, png, sgi, sun, eps and a whole lot more.
   Analyze format images - reader and writer for the popular MRI format
   HFH format images - Consists of a textual description file
'RECON.DAT', and a directory of images.

nice isn't it !!!

HTH,
mathieu

PS: DICOM image writing is also -partially-suppported !!
PS2: The VTK FAQ should be updated...