[vtkusers] Interactive adjustment of data objects /CAD

Nigel Nunn nNunn at ausport.gov.au
Fri Jan 24 19:47:04 EST 2003

Hi Sebastien,

> This is really blocking us... We wonder if using
> VTK for a CAD application was a good idea...

For a CAD application, let's say you have a model defined by

 (1)  a set of vertices, and
 (2)  the surfaces and volumes defined by the
      connections between those vertices.

Those vertices and connections ("geometry and topology")
are the main data to be displayed and adjusted.  I treat
the Vtk sources, filters and widgets as tools to help me
display and adjust that "geometry and topology".

> Are you saying that we could have a DataObject as
> the initial object of a pipeline ?

Yes!  Then you can slice it and dice it with all the tools
Vtk offers for visualizing that data :-) and adjust it by
catching and interpreting user-interactions.  On Win32/MFC,
we catch the usual messages (OnLButtonDown, OnMouseMove),
and update the core data accordingly.  We mark THOSE data
objects as "Modified()", then ask the mappers to "Update()".

> That way, i would treat it like a source and all
> modifications done to its content would not be lost
> by any update calls to upstream objects.. (Since
> theres no such upstream objects !)

Yep -- that data is ... "The Source" of "Your Model"

Nigel

confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of
this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited and
may be unlawful. If you receive this message in error, please delete it
and notify the sender.

Keep up to date with what's happening in Australian sport.
Visit http://www.ausport.gov.au