[vtkusers] VTK vs Java3D Question

Greg Buron gabriel at acm.wwu.edu
Tue Jan 14 12:22:34 EST 2003

Funny you should ask this.  I am working at a company where I am
developing a rendering engine using java3d, and i am also going to school
where I am developing a rendering engine using vtk (in a java wrapper).  I
am almost done with the rendering engine at work and just started with the
rendering engine at school.  I couldnt give a very detailed report on the
strengths/merits of each as i am very new to vtk, but java3d seems to need
a bit more setup than vtk.  Also, vtk seems to follow the standard
"pipeline" setup of setting up a virtual universe where java3d uses a
scene graph, which is a bit odd if you've never worked with one before but
takes care of all the rendering for you.  Tough call to answer your
question, ask me again in about 2-3 months when ive got my project a bit
closer to completion!

Greg

Greg Buron
gabriel at lister.acm.wwu.edu
Western Washington University ACM

"I feel like a one-legged man in a butt kicking contest..."