[vtkusers] Issues with VTK 4.2

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Thu Aug 28 12:00:42 EDT 2003

At 11:18 AM 8/28/2003, Tom G. Smith (Smitty) wrote:
>Hello vtkusers at public.kitware.com,
>
>I just installed VTK 4.2 on a RedHat 9.0 system.  We've been using
>VTK for a number of years now, since VTK Version 2.4, and it's never
>gotten any easier to install and configure.  Here are several
>issues:
>
>1.      During the cmake -i, it prompts you to BUILD_SHARED_LIBS,
>        with the default of OFF.  If you don't change it to ON and
>        subsequently override VTK_WRAP_PYTHON to ON, it waits
>        another 30 prompts or so before it dies with the error,
>        "VTK_WRAP_PYTHON requires BUILD_SHARED_LIBS to be ON."
>        Then you have to go through the whole tedious set of prompts
>        from the beginning again.

You may want to try ccmake instead of cmake -i, the interface is much nicer.

>2.      I left VTK_USE_HYBRID and VTK_USE_PARALLEL both at OFF, but
>        set VTK_WRAP_TCL to ON.  When the cmake finished and I
>        try to run any of the Tcl examples, they work, but I get
>        these messages every time:
>
>        bash-2.05b$ vtk /opt/vtk/Examples/Modelling/Tcl/faultLines.tcl
>        can't find package vtkHybridTCL 4.2
>        can't find package vtkParallelTCL 4.2

This may be fixed in 4.2.3, but I will check.

>3.      It works, but I get these messages if I run vtk anywhere but
>        directly at the console.  These messages have been around
>        since VTK 4.0.  They did not appear prior to that version.
>
>        bash-2.05b$ vtk /opt/vtk/Examples/Modelling/Tcl/faultLines.tcl
>        Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>        Xlib: No protocol specified

This is not a vtk issue.   This is an X11 issue.  Can you run
other opengl based applications and have them work?

>4.      Some of the tcl examples don't work at all. I've only listed a few
>        that I tried which failed; there are lots more that don't work:
>
>        bash-2.05b$ vtk /opt/vtk/Examples/Modelling/Tcl/procrustesAlignment.tcl
>        Error in startup script: invalid command name
>        "vtkProcrustesAlignmentFilter" while executing
>        "vtkProcrustesAlignmentFilter procrustes1" (file
>        "/opt/vtk/Examples/Modelling/Tcl/procrustesAlignment.tcl"
>        line 49)
>
>        bash-2.05b$ vtk /opt/vtk/Examples/Modelling/Tcl/hello.tcl
>        can't find package vtkHybridTCL 4.2 can't find package
>        vtkParallelTCL 4.2 Error in startup script: invalid command
>        name "vtkImplicitModeller" while executing "vtkImplicitModeller
>        imp" (file "/opt/vtk/Examples/Modelling/Tcl/hello.tcl" line 24)

Some of the tcl examples require hybrid or parallel, so if you don't build them, they
will not run.

-Bill