[vtkusers] order of execution

Benjamin King king.benjamin at mh-hannover.de
Thu Aug 7 04:23:35 EDT 2003

Hello Christos,

> the problem is that in my window i have an interactor, so I find it
> logical that the window does not allow other computations to be executed
> before it closes (if it closes however the application closes!)

Hmm. The interactor catches the events that happen in the vtkRenderWindow.
If a particular event makes it necessary to update the image, then the
interactor will call vtkRenderWindow->Render(). As soon as this method
returns, the interface should be responsive again.

> is it possible to have more than one vtk window open per application? if
> yes how this could be done? threads? do you know any examples
> as i did not find any in the vtk documentation

What language are you using? With Tcl/Tk, you should use vtkTkRenderWidget.
Example:

vtkTkRenderWidget .widget1
vtkTkRenderWidget .widget2

This will create two widgets with embedded vtkRenderWindows. There are some
helper routines to attach Tcl/Tk's event management to the VTK pipeline. To
access the vtkRenderWindows, you have to do somoething like

set window [.widget1 GetRenderWindow]

Best regards,
  Benjamin

--